Judith Carroll & Co

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Article Index
StPatricks
Page 2
Page 3
All Pages

 

 

 

stpats2

Similarly, it would seem from Brooking’s map that this south-west area of the site was not developed but is marked ‘Poddle’ in 1728. By 1756, the site as we know it today was developed with housing as is shown on Rocque’s map and this continued into the 19th and 20th centuries as is clear from the Ordnance Survey maps.

From maps dating as late as the early 18th century it seems that much of the south and west part of the development site, if not all the site, was actually engulfed by the Poddle and its confluence with the Commons Water and was only culverted in the 18th century. The site as we know it today may have been subject at least to flooding until it was culverted.

There was a very unevenly spread concrete layer over much of the site requiring the employment of a rock-breaker. Three test trenches were cut revealing unexpected depth. It was found in all three trenches that the natural level was 2.8m - 2.9m. In Trench 1 and 2, the trenches became flooded at the base soon after opening.

Map: Speed's map of 1610, showing development site as part of the precincts of the cathedral.

 



 

facebookicon

Judith Carroll & Co Ltd
Archaeological Consultants
Ballybrack Road 
Glencullen
Dublin 18 

Tel: 01 6705067
Mobile: 087-9968819/ 087-3810933
Email: info@judithcarrollandco.ie
Website: www.judithcarrollandco.ie


Latest News