Judith Carroll & Co

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Article Index
Mt Jerome
Page 2
All Pages

Mt Jerome Cemetery, Dublin 6
2010-2014

  

 Mt Jerome Cemetery 1A new cremator and filtration unit was being built to the west of the chapel in the area of existing stables and carriage sheds at Mount Jerome cemetery, Dublin 6. A new carriage shed was also being constructed. The site of the proposed development was situated directly adjacent to the existing 18th /19th century house at Mount Jerome and development will take place within the former stable yards of the house. Archaeological monitoring was carried out under Licence no. 10E0189 Mount Jerome cemetery (Plate 1) was developed on an estate called Mount Jerome in 1836 when it was purchased by The General Cemetery Company of Dublin. The Cemetery was not developed on an earlier graveyard site, ecclesiastical site or site with any history prior to the 18th century when it was a demesne enclosing a large house (DU018-049). It was deliberately purchased in 1836 to provide a need for the growing population of Dublin and its suburbs. The present mortuary chapel within the cemetery (by the former house and stables) was completed in 1847. The former Church of Ireland (now a Russian Orthodox Church) at the entrance to Mount Jerome was built in 1836 (Langtry 1997, 7-11). Therefore, though the site has the appearance of a church and cemetery of some antiquity, it is in fact relatively recent as a site of significance.

Plate 1: view of cemetery facing north.


 

  

 Mt Jerome Cemetery 2The origin of the name Mount Jerome can be traced to the Reverend Stephen Jerome, a well-known preacher, who served as Vicar of St. Kevin’s parish from 1639 and who leased the lands from the Brabazon family. The estate of Mount Jerome was originally part of lands belonging to St. Thomas’s Abbey in Dublin. On the Dissolution by Henry VIII, the lands were granted to the Brabazon family who later acquired the title of the Earl of Meath. The lands remained in the family of the Earl of Meath until the 19th century and were leased to a number of leading Dublin families from 1706. The date of the construction of the present house at Mount Jerome is not fully known but it is likely that it was built by the early 18th century. Mount Jerome is adjacent to present Harold’s Cross village and is also close to site of DU018-050, an 18th or 19th century inn.

Mount Jerome is in the present townland of Haroldscross (Harolds Cross Village). Little is known about the area of Harolds Cross, much of which stood within the medieval manor of St. Sepulchre. Its name is said to have originated in a cross which marked the boundary of the land of the Archbishop of Dublin at the border of the Pale, separating this land from that of the originally Danish Harold family. A gallows also stood at this boundary. That it was a natural boundary is suggested by the confluence of watercourses (RMP DU018-043002-4).

Archaeological monitoring took place for the construction of the new crematorium and carriage shed within and around the courtyard of the house in phases between May 2010 and August 2010 (Plate 2). No finds or features of archaeological significance came to light. Subsequent work on different parts of the cemetery took place in 2011, 2012 and 2014.

Plate 2: works behind present crematorium, facing north-east.

 

facebookicon

Judith Carroll & Co Ltd
Archaeological Consultants
Ballybrack Road 
Glencullen
Dublin 18 

Tel: 01 6705067
Mobile: 087-9968819/ 087-3810933
Email: info@judithcarrollandco.ie
Website: www.judithcarrollandco.ie


Latest News