Judith Carroll & Co

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Article Index
GPO
Page 2
Page 3
All Pages

 

 

 

gpo3

Six trenches were cut, 2m x 1m each, across the inner courtyard. In the two southerly trenches, Trenches 4 and 5, natural gravel was reached very quickly and was undisturbed as shallow in depth as 25cm below ground level. In the three most northerly trenches, 1, 2 and 6, were evidence of walls. Trench 3, along the west side of the site was in the mid-line between north and south and was filled with rubble.

The rolled stone and gravel natural subsoil in Trenches 4 and 5 were in accordance with what might be expected so close to the original shoreline of the river Liffey which, till the land was reclaimed, would have come up close to Abbey Street particularly as the trenches were cut circa 2.5m-3m below street level. The features in the northmost trenches are however of interest. While the rubble in Trench 3 could have come from anywhere, the stone and brick wall foundations in at least Trenches 1 and 6 are in situ while there is also a floor in Trench 6.

These walls are very similar to basement walls of 18th/19th century date. They may represent basement walls of Georgian houses demolished in former Drogheda Street to make way for the earliest GPO building which was opened in 1815. The walls may otherwise represent basements relating to an extension of the GPO building in 1870. Though the building has an open interior courtyard in the first edition Ordnance Survey map, it has been extended inwards on its north side by 1870 and the new extension covers the north half of the present courtyard. The same extension can be seen on the 1916 plan.



 

facebookicon

Judith Carroll & Co Ltd
Archaeological Consultants
Ballybrack Road 
Glencullen
Dublin 18 

Tel: 01 6705067
Mobile: 087-9968819/ 087-3810933
Email: info@judithcarrollandco.ie
Website: www.judithcarrollandco.ie


Latest News