Judith Carroll & Co

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Article Index
Camac
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
All Pages

David Cotter and Jennifer Wann compiled a historical survey of the park entitled Corcagh Park - Pairc Chorcai, produced by South Dublin County Council in 2002. They point out that Ua Broin (1944) described how Corkagh House 'stood within the moat of a castle, ruins of which consisted of an arched entrance, portion of a battlemented parapet and eight windows', citing a map from 1658 which shows two houses with a moat (Cotter and Wann 2002, 10-12). Corkagh House, sadly demolished soon after being sold in 1959, was built early in the 18th century. TheFinlay family lived here from the beginning of the 18th century. The last of the Finlays married George Colley of Rathgar in 1909 (Devine 2003, 13) and lived here for most of the 20th century. Corkagh Demesne was purchased in 1983 by Dublin County Council and is now known as Corkagh Park.

The site with its burials may have been ecclesiastical in origin. However, there is no reference to a church site in this area of Corkagh Demesne, though other townlands and place-names close by such as Kilcarbery, Priest town and Kilmatead suggest they may have been ecclesiastical (Cotter and Wann 2002, 8). Kilmateed (or Church of Tadgh; Ua Broin 1944, 205), is the local name for the townland of Corkagh, bounding with Corkagh Demesne, south-west of the site of Corkagh House, incorporating the one other millpond on the Camac.

The only indicator that the site was something other than a field division is the curvilinear shape of the boundary to the south-east. This shape was not taken note of during the desktop study, the reason being that, as can also be seen on the OS map, it is within the landscaped demesne grounds in which there are curvilinear arrangements of paths and trees. The curvilinear path winding along the perimeter of the south-east corner of the field seemed to be artificial, but in fact probably respects the limits of an enclosure, an interpretation supported by the discovery of the burials close to the south-east corner of the field. It is interesting that what would probably have been a main road to the Clondalkin monastic village passes from Corkagh House by the burial field, curving around its perimeter and then straightening out.

References


Ball, F. E. 1906. A history of the County of Dublin. Dublin 
Cotter, D. and Wann, J. 2001. Corcagh Park.  South Dublin County Council. 
Devine, J. 2003. The House of Corcagh. South Dublin Libraries. 
Ua Broin, L. 19944. Clondalkin, County Dublin, and its neighbourhood. Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, LXXIV, iv. 199-218.



 

facebookicon

Judith Carroll & Co Ltd
Archaeological Consultants
Ballybrack Road 
Glencullen
Dublin 18 

Tel: 01 6705067
Mobile: 087-9968819/ 087-3810933
Email: info@judithcarrollandco.ie
Website: www.judithcarrollandco.ie


Latest News