Judith Carroll & Co

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Article Index
Camac
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
All Pages

 

 

 

camac3

History

The site is located in the townland of Corkagh Demesne, which was the demesne lands related to the former Corkagh House owned by the Finlay family from the beginning of the 18th century.

The name of the townland probably originates in the old Irish name 'Corcach' or marsh (Ua Broin 1944, 203). The Camac river is marked as the 'Cammock River' on the Down Survey 1655 map and part of the surrounding area as 'Corkor'. This would accord with the fact that the river Camac flows through the middle of the present day park and former estate lands. These low-lying lands would have formed part of the flood plain of the river.

The townland of Corkagh Demesne was part of a parcel of lands in the ownership of the Archbishop of Dublin, as surveyed by Roger Kendrick in 1759. The church lands, which were formerly lands belonging to the early medieval monastery of Clondalkin, passed into the hands of the Archbishop of Dublin after the Anglo-Norman invasion (Ball 1906, 108-9).

As the first edition OS map of 1839 shows, the site is on the main road from Corkagh Demesne to the town of Clondalkin. Just to the north of the site are the Fairview oil mills, indicated as 'corn mill' and 'oil mill' on the 1839 OS edition. The mill sites are marked 'old corn mill' and 'old oil mill' on the 2nd edition from 1871. The Kendrick map from 1759 outlines 'the Mill meadow' and 'the watercourse' among the parcels of lands belonging to the Archbishop of Dublin.

The earliest reference to Clondalkin is in relation to St. Mochua or Cronan, who is styled Bishop and Abbot of Clondalkin. Amongst his successors are Aelbran Ua Lagudon who died in 781, Feidhlimidh who died in 801, with a number of names to Fiachna Ua Ronain who died in 1026, who assumed the abbacy in violation of the rights of the son of Maeldalua. As a result of this, a war was waged against him and the church and lands of Clondalkin were given to the Culdees (Ball 1906, 121-2). The lands of Corkagh Demesne were part of these lands, which later passed into the hands of the Archiepiscopal See of Dublin.

Clondalkin, according to the Annals of the Four Masters, also had a Scandinavian settlement (Ball 1906, 108). There is no indication of where the Viking settlement was, though 'Danesrath Cas' is marked on Rocque's map from 1762, somewhat to the north of the site and is probably 'Deanrath' on Kendrick's map.



 

facebookicon

Judith Carroll & Co Ltd
Archaeological Consultants
Ballybrack Road 
Glencullen
Dublin 18 

Tel: 01 6705067
Mobile: 087-9968819/ 087-3810933
Email: info@judithcarrollandco.ie
Website: www.judithcarrollandco.ie


Latest News